I have many passions in this world. My strongest being women's sports, nature, travel, and abstract expression. My newest venture is infrared research and capture. I am an environmental advocate, and I love to teach those who want to learn.
My first decade of photography was dedicated to publishing images of women playing sports. By providing quality action shots to newspapers and magazines, I tried to help educate and promote awareness of women’s athletic achievement.
Going to Penn State and living in the tri-state area, I photographed some of the best women’s teams in the country: Immaculata College basketball, West Chester State and Ursinus field hockey, Penn State gymnastics & lacrosse and others. At age 19, WomenSports Magazine honored me as a “top photographer of women’s sports.”
Much of the Women’s Sports Galleries represent East coast collegiate athletics, including:
- National Championships 1977 AIAW Basketball
- 1977 AIAW Field Hockey
- 1988 & 1989 NCAA Basketball
- 1975, 1976 & 1977 USWLA & USFHA National Tourneys
- 1986 Gay Games II
- 1987 Federation Cup Tennis
- 1989 US Open Tennis
- 2005 IFWLCA Lacrosse World Cup
View the Fine Art Gallery for abstract and vintage images. Infrared, nature and travel images will be coming soon.
In addition to photography, I created ENVIRO-ED, an award-winning environmental education/consulting firm. I also served as a seasonal National Park Service ranger, a community organizer, and helped organize girl’s lacrosse in Washington state.
- 1973-1985 Photographed women’s sports while a college student at Penn State and Ohio State
- 1974-1976 Research Photographer for Agricultural Education, Penn State
- 1975-1977 Photographer US Women’s Lacrosse Assn.
- 1976 Recognized an “An Outstanding Photographer of Women’s Sports,” by WomenSports Magazine, 10/1976
- 1980-1982 - Photo Editor of “The Outer Banks Current,” Manteo, NC
- Published in many newspapers, magazines and books including: “Daily Local News,”; “Philadelphia Inquirer,” “The Collegiate,”; “Highlights for Children Magazine”
- 1985 Self-Published Women’s Sports Calendar, BrushFire Press, Columbus, OH
- 1987 Photographer for Women’s Basketball Coaches Assn at NCAA Championship, Tacoma, WA
- 2002-2018 Adjunct Professor of Digital Medial Arts, Olympic College, Bremerton, WA
I am an educator who is passionate about photography, women in sports and nature. I am available to present the following:
- Photo Monitoring of Environmental Change
- Science & Art of Infrared Photography
- How to Shoot Sports
- Photographic Exposure
- Nature Photography
- Travel Photography-How to Personalize It
- WomenSports feature
- Women's Sports Photographer article
- 1983-1984 Sportswomen Calendar
- Bainbridge Island Review - Usher, Smith make Hall of Fame
- US Lacrosse Washington - Hall of Fame
- Kitsap Sun - Klahowya lacrosse coach Usher retiring