I have many passions in this world. My strongest being women's sports, nature, travel, and abstract expression. My newest venture is infrared research and capture. I am an environmental advocate, and I love to teach those who want to learn.
My first decade of photography was dedicated to publishing images of women playing sports. By providing quality action shots to newspapers and magazines, I tried to help educate and promote awareness of women’s athletic achievement.
Going to Penn State and living in the tri-state area, I photographed some of the best women’s teams in the country: Immaculata College women’s basketball, West Chester State and Ursinus field hockey, Penn State gymnastics & lacrosse and others. At age 19, WomenSports Magazine honored me as a “top photographer of women’s sports.”
Much of the Women’s Sports Galleries represent East coast collegiate athletics, including:
- National Championships for 1977 AIAW Basketball
- 1977 AIAW Field Hockey
- 1988 & 1989 NCAA Basketball
- 1975, 1976 & 1977 USWLA & USFHA National Tourneys
- 1986 Gay Games II
- 1987 Federation Cup Tennis
- 1989 US Open Tennis
- 2005 IFWLCA Lacrosse World Cup
Go to the the Fine Art Gallery for infrared, nature, travel, abstract images.
In addition to photography, I operated ENVIRO-ED, an award-winning environmental education-consulting firm. I also served as a seasonal National Park Service ranger, I am a community organizer, and I coach for girl’s lacrosse in WA.
- 1973-1985 Photographed women’s sports while a college student at Penn State and Ohio State
- 1974-1976 Research Photographer for Agricultural Education, Penn State, University Park, PA
- 1975-1977 Photographer US Women’s Lacrosse Assn. - USWLA
- 1976 Recognized an “An Outstanding Photographer of Women’s Sports,” by SportsWoman Magazine, 11/1976
- 1979, 2002, 2003 Interpretive Naturalist - create slide shows, National Park Service, Mt. Rainier & Olympic N.P.
- 1980-1982 - Photo Editor of “The Outer Banks Current,” Manteo, NC
- 1973-1990 Published in many newspapers, magazines, books including: “Daily Local News,” W. Chester, PA; “Philadelphia Inquirer,” “The Collegiate,” University Park, PA; “Highlights for Children Magazine”
- 1985 Self-Published Women’s Sports Calendar, BrushFire Press, Columbus, OH
- 1987 Photographer for Women’s Basketball Coaches Assn at NCAA Championship, Tacoma, WA
- 2002-2018 Adjunct Professor of Digital Medial Arts, Olympic College, Bremerton, WA
As I mentioned, I am an educator who is passionate about photography and the environment. This has provided me many opportunities to give educational presentations. These included:
- Photo Monitoring of Environmental Change
- Science & Art of Infrared Photography
- How to Shoot Sports
- Photographic Exposure
- Nature Photography
- Travel Photography-How to Personalize It
- Women's Sports feature
- 1983-1984 Sportswomen Calendar
- Bainbridge Island Review - Usher, Smith make Hall of Fame
- US Lacrosse Washington - Hall of Fame
- Kitsap Sun - Klahowya lacrosse coach Usher retiring